Wednesday 8 January 2014

Fried chicken!

I'm sure all of you have moments where you fancy something really specific.

Today, I really, really fancied fried chicken.

It was actually because Greg had been here a few days before, and so he and my grandparents kept talking about maybe going to KFC for lunch...


No KFC was had. So I made my own!


I've never actually made fried chicken before. I actually have a bit of a phobia of deep-frying things; something about a pan full of hot oil is enough to send me running.

Today, I faced my fear! And took my oil and eggs to arms.


Ingredients:
  • Chicken pieces - on the bone is best, so drumsticks, thighs and legs are good. I used 6 pieces
  • One or two eggs
  • Seasoning - see below
  • 1.5 cups vegetable oil (or any oil with a high smoke point)

I'm afraid I didn't take any in-progress pictures, so I'll do my best to explain everything here.

First, get your hob hot - medium high heat is good. Let your oil heat up. You're supposed to use a thermometer to get a certain temperature, but when it's bubbling a little bit, you're good.

In the mean time, set up two plates; one with some beaten egg, and the other with your seasoning.

For your seasoning, you can use pretty much anything. You'll want a base of flour and salt, but you can add whatever flavours you fancy; parsley, cumin, paprika; if it sounds like it'd go together, throw it in! 

I actually used a 'Maggie' packet sauce for a chicken and potato casserole as I'm at home and don't have any herbs or spices to hand. It turned out pretty well, so if you're really stuck a powdered sauce will work, too.

Dredge your chicken first in your seasoning, then in your egg and then back in your seasoning. Make sure to turn it over and coat well during each step.

Pre-heat your oven to 220C/200C fan, and get a baking tray with a wire rack set up on a work surface. Time to fry!

Drop in your chicken one at a time (or two if you've got room). The oil will bubble and foam. Count to like... 10-15 seconds, then turn. Then count again.

SAFETY WARNING: HOT OIL IS EVIL AND SPITS AT YOU AND BURNS. So, please be safety conscious! Don't have pan handles stuck out and always keep an eye on the pan. 

Take out your chicken with tongs and set to rest on your wire rack. Rinse and repeat until all your chicken has been fried.


You should now have a rack full of delicious fried chicken and a hot oven! Pop your chicken in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the juices run clear when you poke it. Done!


Serve with whatever you fancy. I went for a side salad and jacket potato. This isn't mine, though - as you can probably tell by the inclusion of tomatoes. :(


Much better! KFC, eat your heart out!


No comments :

Post a Comment